Wednesday, July 8, 2020

June 8th: Studio City and San Juan Capistrano



Good blog news, at least for now. The old blogspot version came up this time. Let's hope it continues!

Matt, Wendy, Rebecca
Trevi & London
While at Rebecca's one project was to hang the big outdoor screen on her garage so we could watch movies in her back yard. The temperatures are very pleasant and the big screen is fun. Matt, Wendy, Rebecca and I enjoyed the evening. 






Of course in the pictures, it wasn't dark enough to start the movie.

The dogs seemed pretty happy also!








Jill's Designer cookies



Rebecca and I invited her friend Jill over for my salmon with dill sauce dinner. She'd enjoyed it when we were here in December and she was happy to come. She is a master cookie maker. She makes custom decorated high end cookies. If you want to order some you must do so several months in advance. Fortunately she is obsessively particular about her cookies. Therefore, she sometimes has rejects. Luckily for us, this was one of those times. Not only did they look too good to eat, they were delicious.

The faces are images of the couple that ordered the cookies.







Covered eating and relaxing area
Craig, Karen and Linda in Canada on
Rahn de Vous
I left Studio City and headed to Craig and Karen's house. As I said in an earlier blog, the four of us enjoyed cruising together in Canada for three summers They've been doing a major outdoor renovation to the front and back yard since October. Linda and I saw the beginning backyard and I was anxious to see the finished product. It is very nice. Beautiful and comfortable.



3 water flowing vases


Craig, being the engineer type he is, was really into the lighting. I should have taken a night picture. Next visit.












Karen saving succulents


Karen is very good with plants. I told her I was bringing some succulents from Rebecca's that were doing poorly. I had offered to try to save them. Karen was all over it. She gave me a lesson on growing succulents, showed me how to replant them in a big pot she provided along with "special" soil. Then she decided I might as well put some of her succulents into the small pots from Rebecca. All the succulents now have a home on my balcony, (out of the direct overhead sun which is apparently critical for succulents, who knew! Well other than Karen.)






Succulents on my balcony


The succulents might not look like much now but they are doing better already. I'll post a picture as they take over the balcony!






I enjoyed being with Rebecca in Studio City but it was nice to get home. I am pretty close to really feeling like this is home. It's hard for me to believe I will be here most probably through December. 


I continued my daily walks to the beach and/or through the neighborhood. I tried a couple different streets and you never know what to expect. I think this Smart Car has delusions of grandeur.









This tree gets my vote so far for the most spectacular. The picture doesn't do it justice.

And then there are also the artistically manicured trees/shrubs. Or maybe they just grow this way? I doubt it!







Camouflaged rabbit





On my way back I passed a field and thought I saw some movement. I stopped and watched for a while and sure enough, there was a very well camouflaged rabbit.



And then a little further down the road was the Surfer crossing sign. Hardly necessary. There seems to always be someone walking to or from the beach with a surf board. 





Scott, my landlord, said he has a learner's foam surf board I can borrow. I've tried surfing in the past with Matt but I was never here long enough to get the hang of it. The best I did was to stand up for a few short rides. Hopefully, I will become proficient, but first I need a wet suit. The water stays quite cold until August because the current flows from North to South.



I went out on to my balcony a few nights ago and the sky was unusually clear. There were planets very visible and quite a few stars. Reminded me of a card I received from Cathy Pendleton that I really liked. This night I appreciated it even more. Thanks again Cathy, 







No comments:

Post a Comment