Wednesday, July 1, 2020

June 30th: Starting to feel like home


Its been challenging trying to adjust to the restrictions that CO#19 places on our lives. I'm finding there is enough to keep me occupied. For one, I love walking around the neighborhood. It is an older neighborhood and the houses exhibit a variety of styles.


What I like most is the vegetation. I've never seen so many plants and trees I couldn't recognize. Many of the trees are obviously quite old. I decided I would post pictures from each of the walks I can do, one at a time. This blog has pictures from immediately around my house. It is a 75 minute route. I had more pictures than included, but I tried to choose the best.
















There won't be many captions because I can't identify many, other than the giant cacti as tall as this house.





Huge Torrey Pine














Orange Tree












This is something I never saw in the Keys. A Buddha Tea truck!

Nor these very artistic sculptures made from driftwood, plants and scrap.






In addition to walking, I started on the puzzle the kids got me. It is quite intricate and complicated. I believe they wanted to keep me busy for a long time.


I of course am spending a lot of time with Matt and Wendy. Matt is heavily into training. What else is there to do? Unfortunately, he and Wendy had to cancel a trip to Europe for a couple biking events. At any rate, he'll be in great condition when things finally open up again.

I am continually amazed at Matt's athletic ability. Here are some pictures of the route he rode a couple weeks ago.

The overall distance was 120 miles. During that ride, which was up and down, he and his buddy climbed almost 14,000 feet overall.


Part of the route went through Cuyamaca Rancho State Park. You can get an idea of the views at this link.  Cuyamaca Rancho State Park.  Wendy followed in the support car with water, nutrients, etc. Fortunately, the course also went through Julian, Home of the Best Apple Pie in California. Of course some was brought back for me! I didn't think to take a picture before we ate it, but here is the website. Julian Pie Company






In addition to being a great athlete, Matt is also a good cook and often cleans up after I cook. (Of course, when I cook, Wendy cleans up after me when Matt doesn't. The cook doesn't have to clean up! Linda taught them well!)









Rye Bread ingredients mixed in a bowl
Rye bread ready for baking
Speaking of cooking, my sister Julie sent me a picture of the rye bread she made. I had given her the recipe e few years ago. The recipe came from Pat, Linda's brother.






Homemade Rye Bread




A key to baking a great loaf of bread is the 2 quart cast iron Dutch Oven. I sent one to Julie when I sent her the recipe and she obviously was putting it to good use. Her bread looked so good I ordered a Dutch Oven  so I could make some. Wendy was all in. It turned out great!





I decided to rearrange my living room a little. Matt helped me put the television in the corner and move the couch on the diagonal in front of it. It gave me more room in the living space and made the room feel more cozy.









Also, my bed in the bedroom, is right behind the kitchen inset for the refrigerator. I could hear it coming on and off during the night. Not terrible, but I thought I could make it better. Ordered some acoustical tiles that Wendy helped me mount on a piece of heavy paper and put them behind the refrigerator. It worked great in reducing the noise. 











No comments:

Post a Comment