Monday, July 6, 2020

July 6th: Studio City for Father's Day and Projects


The June 30th blog actually covered the second week of June. This blog covers the trip that started over Father's Day weekend. I have some catching up to do on the blog. The good news is I've been pretty busy, happily, despite the CO#19.

Kitchen before renovation
Living space with walls removed
Rebecca lives in Studio City near Los Angeles. She was just finishing a major renovation to her home. It started in October but the CO#19 caused a lot of slow downs. The wait was worth it. The project was basically complete and it was fun to see the end result.


Kitchen and Front Living Area
Front Living Area

The kitchen has a very large island with seating for four or more. Plus a great gas range and oven.

The front living area is very spacious, awaiting couch delivery.




TV and Back Living Area
Fenced in back yard
The back area is very comfortable for just hanging out, watching TV or playing video games.

The back yard is beautiful with a very nice shade tree and a patio perfect for outdoor dining.





Dented bottom of the garage door
There were several projects on the list for my moving to California. I arrived Friday and started in on the first one. Rebecca's garage door opener was not putting the door up all the way. Unfortunately, it had stopped above what she could see in the rear view mirror, but not above the car.

Result, bent Garage door, torn loose roller bearings, bent roller bearing brackets and torn loose molding.








Fortunately the door was aluminum. Took the bent piece off and was able to straighten it better than I had hoped.









The little brackets holding the the roller bearing wheels were also bent but they were easy to bend back. Put it back together and all was good for now. Tried to adjust the tension of the opener and decided the door opener was shot. New one is on order.






Wendy and Matt arrived Sunday. I proceeded to open my Father's Day presents. The first was a new IPad. I don't know why they thought I needed a new one, my old one is only 10 or so years old :>) The new one is very nice and includes a free year of Apple Plus. Nice since my place has an Apple TV included. My new Ipad has a bigger screen and is very light. I told the kids they're turning me into Mr. Technology.

I also received a subscription to "Dressing Your Truth for Men". I had been reading a book Wendy gave me by Carol Tuttle called It's Just My Nature. It's interesting and easy and fun to read. There are four energy types and the book provides the info for a person to determine his/her type. Then the follow up is Dressing in sync with your type. The course I received is online, covers the Types and Dressing to match your type. Tuttle had an original course for women that one had to purchase. Now it is online for free.  Tuttle's Free site for Women.

I have discovered I am a Type One. I need some new clothes anyway! Here are the color palettes for Type One and Type Two. Interesting! I have also discovered all of my clothes match a Type Two Energy person. I need some new clothes anyway! Mr. Technology, Mr. Clothes Horse, What's next?


Color palette Type One
Color Palette Type Two














Wendy brought her Cricut machine which was fun to play with. She actually made this Father's Day card for me. Look closely and you'll see it is three-dimensional. Very impressive! Rebecca and I decided we won't be able to send cards to people we all know anymore.

Rebecca decided to make a couple elephant stickers. This one is cute despite the flat top!








Wendy and Matt headed home Monday morning and I stayed to work on some projects and spend the week with Rebecca. Rearranging the artificial Ivy lattice on the fence was the first priority. The lattice provides privacy and also prevents the dogs from wanting to go see what's happening anytime the neighbor walk by. It took a couple days to take it down and then rearrange it, but it worked out well.


New screen door holder
Add caption
The next project was installing a new screen door closer. It would have been very easy if the brackets were the same, but of course they weren't. While installing the door closer I noticed the screen had a lot of dirt and dust from the construction project. Took the door off and gave it a good cleaning. It looked great but then the handle looked bad.







Painted the handle and everything now looks great.












Realized, if the screen door screen was dirty, the sliding door screens must be also. We didn't notice the dirt until we rubbed the screens a little and could see the dirt. It took two good scrubbings to get them clean and now they are almost invisible. They looked so much better clean. Hope we don't run into them!







Many windows to be washed


Of course that led to Rebecca washing the windows also.





Rebecca's hydroponic garden

Rebecca started a hydroponic garden. Almost no dirt. The roots all grow down into the giant "vase".
Zucchini plant
We enjoyed cabbage, Romaine Lettuce, Koji Tatsoi and spices. A lot more coming. Crazy how many different plants can grow in the one container.

Her zucchini are going great!








Sunset in Studio City





I enjoy walking around Rebecca's neighborhood with the dogs. People on the streets all wear masks and we cross the street if someone is coming the other way. Feels very safe and the dogs enjoy the walk while I get some exercise. One evening I was treated to a beautiful sunset. It might not be over the ocean but it was very beautiful and eerily looked like a hand creeping in!











There are a lot of artistic people in Studio City. The yards are quite unique and fun. This particular granite or soapstone sculpture is really cool.

I'll include more fun pictures from my walks in future blogs.





No comments:

Post a Comment