Saturday, December 31, 2022

December 31st: Pottery update

 

Wendy and I have been continuing the work on our pottery. It's a very low tech process. First we "Throw the pieces." Then we let them dry over night and return to trim the pieces. Trimming allows you to fix blemishes, adjust the shapes, etc. Then they are ready for firing in the kiln at 2,000 degrees. They don't fire pieces every day and you have to wait if the humidity is too high, plus the holiday, so it was a couple weeks before we could return to glaze our pieces. Then they get fired again. Again, not a fast process.



Wendy is experienced so on our first visit she was moving right along. 




One of Wendy's creations!









Steve's results

My first attempts, I was going to make a couple mugs. Turns out, knowledge and skill are not the same. I knew what I was supposed to do but I was reminded of learning to ride a bike. You can read all the instructions and have a lot of knowledge but when you get on the bike, not so easy. My mugs turned into a little plate and a little cup. 





So then I signed up for the beginning classes again, while Wendy just kept creating. Our first pieces were not yet fired after trimming but that was okay. 


Steve's mugs after trimming and adding handles
I made four mugs during my second run at the Beginners' Wheel class. If you like "Wonky Mugs they turned out great! I came back the next day for the trimming class. Very helpful!. 






While I was making my mugs Wendy made a fun vase and a really cool whatever with a lid. Tough to do!







Next there was a glazing class. Our first pieces were fired so I proceeded to glaze my plate and cup.. I discovered the first step was to sand/smooth any imperfections. Because the pieces have been fired they are very hard. I quickly recognized the value of doing a thorough job during Trimming! As the instructor pointed out, I didn't want sharp edges on the rim of my cup, or little bumps that would show through the glaze, or........ It took a little while but I felt good with my preparation. 

There are endless options of glazes and combinations. Some run, some don't. Some are opaque, some aren't, etc. The instructor and Wendy helped me make some good selections. 

I glazed my two pieces wondering how they would turn out. Because of the Chrsitmas holiday, it was going to be at least a week to find out.


We returned to glaze our latest work and hoped our first pieces would be fired. They were. I was very pleased with the outcome! I'm not sure what to do with the little cup nor the plate but they are fun! The sharpie is for a size perspective. 







The real goal this trip was to glaze our latest pieces which fortunately, were fired. The glaze is in 5 gallon buckets that we needed to thoroughly mix, and then dip the pieces. Carefully, two seconds, no longer and then hold it to prevents drips! 


The glaze is in 5 gallon buckets that we needed to thoroughly mix, and then dip the pieces. 









Or, we could paint the glaze on with a brush. Wendy, being much more accomplished did a variety of things with the glaze. Glazing is an art form in itself.





I used the dip method and the brush method. You might notice the surfaces look pretty rough. That's the way my little cup and plate looked. I was amazed how smooth and shiny they came out. These mugs look rough now but once fired they will look different. I'm anxious to see how they turn out




So now we wait for our pieces to be fired. Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment