Monday, December 12, 2022

December 12th: Tis the Season

 

Matt, Wendy and I have been enjoying some of the Christmas/Holiday festivities. First we went to the Balboa Park Holiday festivities. There are all types of unique vendors, art, jewelry, wood working and of course food vendors. Balboa Park is a huge museum park complex. It's worth the effort to check out this link and look at all the wonderful opportunities the Park offers. It is a huge complex right in San Diego. Fortunately, people with foresight set aside this wonderful park for everyone to enjoy. Balboa Park


I've included just some of the pictures I took. They speak for themselves. Just a note, The San Diego Zoo is different from the San Diego Zoo Safari Park which is located much further out of town.









There were many Christmas lights throughout the park. The picture above gives a good representation of how much they went all out to decorate. That is a little train in the picture that was very popular. The line to ride was quite long.

We walked around quite a while trying to decide what to eat. We eliminated a number of our first choice because the lines were incredibly long. We ended up with some Asian style soft buns stuffed with barbecue pork or chicken. I believe Matt led us to that vendor. It was a good choice.  Matt was looking for ice cream, but again the line was so long he decided to skip it. We left the park area and walked back to our car which was in the Zoo lot. Wendy did the research and found it would be a good place to park and it was free. There were several places on the way in that were charging $30.

The number of people and cars in attendance was incredible. Literally many thousands of people. It took us quite a while to get out of the parking lot and then to the freeway. Fortunately, Wendy was driving, very cool and calm!




Then it was time for my birthday, December 5th! Wendy and I decided to go to the Fire and Mud Pottery place to "Throw some pottery" That name refers to making stuff out of clay on a spinning wheel. Linda, Wendy and I went a couple times years ago so it had been a long time for me. Wendy jumped right in and made some fun stuff. Pictures coming after they are finished.





Despite Wendy's help, I struggled to remember how to make my hands do what is required. I was going to make a mug. The first turned into a little plate because the top part of the mug fell off. (Made it too thin!) The second "Thing" I made turned out to be a little cup? Anyway, it was fun and I decided to sign up for the beginners class again.







The first turned into a little plate because the top part of the mug fell off. (Made it too thin!) The second "Thing" I made turned out to be a little cup? Anyway, it was fun and I decided to sign up for the beginners class again.





Per my request, Wendy made her homemade, gluten free brownies with peanut butter instead of butter. They are the best! 



Per my request, Wendy made her homemade, gluten free brownies with peanut butter instead of butter. They are the best! 





I was trying to decide what to make for dinner. I remembered the chicken Marsala that Linda's Mom used to make. I always enjoyed it. It had been several years since I made it and it sounded good. It turned out great!





I received an unusual Christmas present from Mary Fuchs and family. (My niece who lives in Philadelphia.) I have a twin brother named Andy. She found some Steve and Andy cookies! Very fun and they tasted great!









The Christmas festivities continued. Encinitas has a holiday parade. It is very well attended with floats, old cars bands, etc. Wendy Matt and I decided to go early and grab supper. We went to The Taco Stand. A very popular place with a lot of outside seating. We were fortunate that it was a beautiful night. Matt and I got burritos and Wendy got tacos. The burritos were huge and delicious!





We had a fun time checking out all the floats as they were getting ready for the parade. People really went all out. Here are pictures of just a few.











And even one video.



I was fortunate in that I was close enough to walk to town for the parade. Traffic was crazy both before and after. As I walked home, I past The Self-Realization Fellowship Center. It is right at the top of Swami's beach and has been there for over 70 years. Their decorations were very cool!



I rode my bike to the dog park and was glad I did. Some people decorated the garden at the entrance to the park. The entrance to the park is right along the road with no type of security.  I was particularly impressed and pleased that they could put up a display like this and no one bothered it. It's a Christmas miracle. I saw it more than once!












The Rahns, boating friends we met in Canada, invited me to their yacht club at Dana Point. It is a laid  back yacht club with very friendly people. I will admit I am leery of "Yacht Clubs". Linda and I visited any number during our 25,000 miles travelling on our boat. Many were very relaxed, friendly and welcoming. Some were down right snooty. I am happy to report there is no one snooty at this Yacht Club. Of course knowing Craig and Karen I wasn't surprised. 



Craig and Karen introduced me to their friend Fran. She has a 40 foot Jersey Fly bridge fishing boat. We were invited to check it out. It is a great boat, very similar to our 32 foot Trojan, only quite a bit bigger!




Fran, Craig and I enjoy riding our bikes. We decided to get together for a ride. Turns out Fran is a very capable biker! But Craig and I did keep up with her. 







Fran invited me to join her and some friends to watch the Dana Point Boat parade from her aft deck. The parade went by 30 feet from the boat. The people were a lot of fun. Of course, all boaters. The parade exceeded my expectations. Boats were going by for almost an hour. The extent people went to, to decorate was incredible. The weather was perfect and it was a great evening.










There is still one major Christmas show Wendy, Matt and I will be attending at the San Diego Botanic Garden. Fortunately, we can walk to it from Matt and Wendy's house. It is a spectacular display and always sells out. Fortunately Wendy was on the ball and got us tickets last week. Pictures will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment