Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Feb 25: Mostly Work Day - And an Anniversary (A Little Late)

This is the view I see in the morning when I look out my little porthole by the bed. It constantly reminds me of how fortunate we are to be able to do what we are doing. Some days I walk around knocking on any piece of wood I can find! Guess a combined 55 years in public education certainly is a part of this but the other part is the wonderful, life-changing gift that was given to me by my brother Tom 26 years ago on Feb 22, 1985: one of his kidneys! I marvel that through that gift I have had a normal life (well, as normal as can be given that we choose to live on a boat :-)) for the last 26 years. So, THANKS TOM!!! And also a big THANKS to my other brother Pat who was also willing to donate one of his (they were the only two of my four brothers that had the right blood type). Just before the surgery, I recall sitting in pre-op with Tom and asking the nurses to be sure that he didn't try to escape :-)
Steve spent part of the day cleaning the textilene screens. A trip was to Daffy Doug's dollar store in search of a small broom to sweep the sand out of the boat that somehow makes it's way inside. While there, Steve spotted a small toaster which he has been wanting. It found a home under the sink as the rule about nothing sitting on the counter is still there!
We finally found out what draws the mallard ducks to the area: their own swimming pool of fresh water on the other side of the dock! Tomorrow: a bus trip to Tavernier to the nautical flea market and hopefully we'll be back early enough to go to the show to see "The King's Speech" which I've been wanting to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment