Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Nov 3rd: La Jolla


I'd been to a beach in La Jolla to swim and also to check out the snorkeling. It was okay, but pretty flat and not much there to see snorkeling. A good protected place to swim but I was in search of a good snorkel place. So after doing a Google search, I found what seemed promising. I decided I would just drive down early in the morning, (parking is always an issue) and check it out. What a beautiful place! There were cliffs, caves, beautiful clear blue waters, waves, sea lions, seals and numerous birds. There is a walk way along the top of the cliffs with several places with stairs to get down to the water.

I decided I would devote a blog to the wonderful pictures and videos I was able to take. I will go back tomorrow to snorkel!

Sea Lions and Seals hanging out together


How to distinguish Sea Lions from Seals









Stairs to the snorkel entry spot

This looked like the best place to get to the water to snorkel. There are numerous harbour seals and sea lions in the water. People are told to stay away from them and refrain from petting them if they come close!




One of numerous caves 
La Jolla is known for its many caves. The one on the right goes all the way through the cliff. When the waves come rolling in, they crash through the opening. It was relatively calm today and I can just imagine the pounding waves when the surf is up.












There are also numerous little ravines carved in the cliff. This is about a 75 foot drop to the ocean.











The picture on the right gives you an idea how great the walkway is. It runs the entire distance you can see and then continues around the point.






This was my favorite view. The wave action was spectacular and the sun was at a good angle to see through the water to the bottom. I could see numerous harbour seals and sea lions playing in the swells. The point is actually quite far away. If you look closely you can see some people to give you a perspective.









I couldn't resist trying to catch some videos of the waves crashing in. There actually were not many big waves so I had to be patient. I finally caught a couple. 




I knew the weather tomorrow was again going to be good for snorkeling. My plan was to see if it was worth driving there to snorkel. Absolutely! I will be snorkeling tomorrow. Too bad I don't have an underwater camera, but then I guess that's what the internet is for. I'll find some pictures of what I see and put them in the follow-up blog.









No comments:

Post a Comment