Thursday, April 23, 2020

April 23rd: Made me smile


I looked in the freezer and noticed a grass fed sirloin steak. I was happily reminded how it got there.
I had pretty well completed a blog the day before Linda passed away. Although I've spent a lot of time looking at the blog since Linda died, I couldn't seem to finish and post this one. Seeing the steak did it. I smiled and thought others would also.

We went kayaking again Easter Sunday and it was an absolutely beautiful day. I towed Linda a long way and she really enjoyed it. When we got back, I decided I'd do a blog including the great kayaking. I finally finished it and here it is.



Bottom paint being applied

Found out boating was allowed for household groups as long as we stayed 50 feet from other boats. (Many boaters like to pull up on sand bars and have a big party, hence the 50 foot regulation.) So I decided it was time to get my new dinghy ready. I wanted to put bottom paint on  it to stop algae and barnacles from growing on it.








Dockmaster Scott helped me pull it out onto the dock, carry it around to the shade and then put it back in the water. Great to have a strong young dockmaster!

Last step, I used the hoist on the boom to put the outboard on and bolt it to the transom. Good to go!





Well.... still feels like ground hog day. Thankfully, the roads into the Keys are still blockaded so we feel quite safe. I had greatly minimized the trips to the grocery store but it had been about a week and a half since I'd shopped. Now everyone was required to wear masks in the stores so I felt safer.

Linda said, "I think we need some COVID#19 food". I told her we were very well stocked and I was just going for eggs and some fresh produce and fruit. She said, "No, I mean let's forget the low carb, low saturated fat diet and have some fun food." I said it works for me. The only specific request was Mac n Cheese. Other than that she said to see what I could find.

I knew that a frozen DiGiorno Mushroom, Spinach, Garlic Pizza would be a big hit. They are actually not bad on saturated fat. The carbs? Well that's why we save them for special treats. We really like those but they seldom have them at Publix. It was the first thing I looked for because I know they get cleared out early when they get some in. I was lucky, there were four in the freezer case. I grabbed one. (No hoarding here!)

Next went to get the Mac n Cheese. Wouldn't want to forget that!




Next I thought I'd try again for a corned beef. I say again because my last attempt on St.Patrick's Day didn't go so well. The fresh meat area was only about half full but you never know. I looked and there were three corned beefs wrapped in the plastic bags with the spice packet included. I took it home and put it into the pot to simmer all day. It looked kind of brown rather than red but it was Publix own brand so whatever. Simmered it along with the cabbage and potatoes. Went to eat it and found it was still brown, kind of tough and just didn't taste like corned beef. Tasted more like a pot roast. It was good, but not what we were expecting. I went to look for the bag it was wrapped in but I had already thrown it in the trash can outside.

I was in the store about a week later and looked for the same item. Again there were three sitting there. Checked the label and discovered it was beef tongue! Linda's dad used to make it at the farm and it was okay, but not corned beef.



This time I looked very carefully, and sure enough they had some clearly marked corned beef. Pizza, corned beef for Easter, going well so far.


Right next to the corned beef were some grass fed sirloin steaks. Quite low in saturated fat so I picked up two of those.









Might as well check the International foods section in the freezer aisle. Found some spring rolls and some vegetable pot stickers.







Across from the International Foods aisle was the ice cream aisle. Might as well pick up some Raspberry sorbet. I decided that should do it. But wait, on the end of the aisle were some Cape Cod Kettle fried potato chips which we actually buy on occasion. These also are very low in saturated fat.

I decided I better get out quickly after getting the fresh vegetables and fruit.

This was Tuesday. I arrived back at the boat and showed Linda the pizza. I said it would fit in the freezer and we could have it for a special occasion. She said, "I think today is a special occasion!" Patience might be a virtue but I believe Linda was passed over on that one. Of course I said, "Works for me." It was great as usual.

Planned the rest of the week's special treats. Pot sticker appetizers Wednesday. Spring roll appetizers Thursday and Sirloin steak Friday. Mac n Cheese for lunch Saturday and real corned beef and cabbage Easter Sunday. Maybe we're adapting to this COVID#19 problem pretty well!

The weather was beautiful so we again reminded ourselves how fortunate we are, but its difficult to put the pandemic out of our minds. We're hanging in there and actually there is little we're not doing that we were before. Little projects, reading, swimming, kayaking and Linda playing her Christmas present video games, Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion, while I watch and yell, "Look out".

Linda went for a short kayak ride Wednesday. I offered to pull her but she said she would just slowly paddle around outside the marina and see how it goes. It went well. Friday I towed her up-current pretty far so she could coast back with the current. Great to see her enjoying kayaking again. She decided she'd go every other day (winds permitting) for exercise.


Headed to Crane Point

It was dead calm on Easter so I towed her out to Crane Point which has some little bays, mangroves, birds and often fish.









Egrets near Crane Point

We spotted a flock of Egrets and We  decided I'd try to slowly paddle us past them for Linda to get a picture. We were getting pretty close and she got some good ones. Tried to get closer and she got a good picture of them flying away! Beautiful birds. Very graceful flying and fun to see.





We arrived at the Point and Linda paddled around for a while. I towed her back even though it was with the current because it is a long way. When we got back she said, "That was great, I really enjoyed that. Thanks." What a wonderful job her doctor and the physical therapist did on her shoulder. Looking forward to a lot more kayaking.

On the way back we passed this fun palm tree trunk from a palm tree destroyed by Irma. Creative use of the stump and fun to see going by.


Ended the day with the corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and of course Raspberry Sherbet. What a great Easter. Finished the evening watching old Cheers segments. Linda found 11 seasons on Netflix. We started with the first season and plan to watch them all. Much better than watching the news, I highly recommend it.


Above is the blog I had pretty well finished. I realized there weren't any pictures of Linda so I added one from where it all began. In case you are wondering, that is the tux I was married in. It was the 70's!

Steve and Linda, July 10, 1971



No comments:

Post a Comment