Sunday, January 7, 2024

December: Back to California, Ohio and Back Again

 When I returned from Arizona, Matt, Wendy, Rebecca and I talked about Thanksgiving. Rather than try to travel on a busy weekend, we decided to meet the weekend before at Laguna Beach for lunch and some sightseeing. It is about half way in between Encinitas and Studio City.  Rahns and Fran joined us. Fran lives in Laguna and Rahns are close by.  We had a great lunch and then did a walking tour of the very artistic downtown. We in particular wanted to see the Sawdust Winter Fantasy, but discovered dogs were not allowed. (Rebecca had brought Trevi and London, it was after all our Thanksgiving gathering.) 



Fran, Matt & Wendy outside the
 Laguna Beer Company's by a great mural
Craig wonderfully volunteered to watch London and Trevi while the rest of us toured the Sawdust Winter Fantasy Festival. He hung out at Fran's son's brewery, The Laguna Beer Company. Fortunately he was able to sit outside and watch a football game.







Pictures were prohibited for many of the artists' displays but I was allowed to get this picture of a lot of fun mushrooms for sale. Karen agreed with me that they were fun!





Karen admiring the mushrooms




Inside the Sawdust Winter Fantasy Festival area I spotted this building with a beautiful Eucalyptus tree growing through it. The bark of the Eucalyptus trees is very unique and colorful.

Fortunately I found a link with pictures. Sawdust Winter Fantasy Festival



The weather was perfect and we enjoyed the visit.


Matt, Wendy and I planned a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving. We planned to eat closer to lunch time and continue with leftovers later. The dinner was great but Matt received a call that his mother, Linda Limbert, was having some serious health issues, and it was suggested they return to Cleveland as soon as practical. I dropped Matt and Wendy at the airport at 5am Friday and they were able to spend some time with Linda before she passed away several days later. I flew to Ohio Wednesday for the memorial service scheduled for Friday. I knew Linda Limbert for many years, but learned even more by reading her obituary.  Here is a link. Linda Limbert Obituary  Matt's mom and his dad (Dale) were always a lot of fun. Dale in particular had a special relationship with my Linda. Dale loved my Linda's oven baked chicken and they both shared many right brained beliefs about how the rest of us should be. Linda Limbert was generous to a fault, always finding fun little gifts for us. And the Drouhard family still talks about her 7 layer jello salad, "How does she do that?" (I keep putting in Linda "Limbert" given we have two Lindas.) Here's a good picture of one of our gatherings.


From left, Steve, Dale, Linda, Matt, Wendy, Rebecca




Knowing I would be in Ohio for a while I made plans to spend time with my sister Julie and her husband Jim. I would be there from Wednesday night through Sunday night. I was looking forward to a relaxed visit with them. Julie and Jim know how to have fun. I love this little frog hanging on their plant.

I got to see some snow. It didn't last long but fun to see anyway. One day was enough!



Julie made some great mushroom, onion cheeseburgers.








I wanted this to be a relaxed visit with Julie and Jim which worked out great. I was able to schedule a dinner with the Drouhard family in Loudonville the day before I left to fly home. It had been a long time since we were together over the holidays and this was a perfect opportunity.

My sister-in-law, Becky's mom, hosted our gathering. Here are a couple pictures of her farm house and property.



View looking north from the house













Donna and Elin, my sister-in-law

Donna had a beautiful tree and as always was a wonderful hostess! Pat and Becky organized a great dinner with wonderful contributions from Elin. And of course Dick provided his typical humor! The dinner and pies were great. It was wonderful to see everyone.





But! As I was getting ready to drive back to my sister's in Cleveland, she called me and said Jim had tested positive for Covid. I was scheduled to fly home the next morning and we decided it best for me to stay in a motel instead of back at the "COVID HOUSE! I had no symptoms, decided to test myself in the morning just in case, and all looked good for me going home.


I made it home Monday and started getting symptoms Tuesday. I tested positive for COVID. I didn't feel terrible, mostly just kind of weak. So I set about putting up my Christmas decorations. I decided to put my Christmas tree up a little early. Actually, 2 Christmas trees. Becky gave me one and instead of choosing I just used both. 









I was going to Rebecca's to watch the dogs the week after Christmas so I figured I could enjoy the Christmas decorations early. I enjoy my nice little trees. I also had found a great Frosty wreath at a thrift shop I liked. It looked great on my balcony.




Despite Covid, I could still enjoy seeing the sunrise around the huge Norfolk pine across from my balcony.










Red Tailed Hawks
I particularly enjoyed watching the pair of red tailed hawks that sit in the very top of that Norfolk pine.











And when I regained some energy I was able to walk the beach.









And almost every evening, I get to see an incredible sunset out my window.







I had no serious symptoms from COVID, but it did last longer than I had hoped. I was grateful for the timing. I made it home from Ohio and was cured well before Christmas.















No comments:

Post a Comment