Saturday, December 30, 2023

November 15th: On to Flagstaff Arizona to visit Tom

 I've been putting the date I post a blog in the titles. Actually, I decided I should put the date when the events I describe occurred. Especially given how far behind I am.

Linda's three brothers, Warren, Pat and Dick joined me for a trip to visit Linda's 4th brother Tom. He lives in Flagstaff Arizona. On the way we stopped at a favorite seafood restaurant, Pappadeuax Seafood Kitchen. The seafood is New Orleans style and wonderful.

Dick, Warren and Pat at Pappadeuax Restaurant



When we arrived Monday we found Tom waiting for us. He has dialysis on MWF so he was a little tired but in good spirits. Our plan was to make an early Thanksgiving dinner Tuesday.


We arrived to find Tom waiting for us








The Turkey dinner was excellent. Pat was the head chef and did a great job. I didn't get a picture of the turkey which is a shame. Nor did I get a good picture of Medge's "Turkey veggie tray." It looked like a turkey and was fun with lots of great veggies.




Took Tom to Lake Mary. Beautiful day.
















Tom had dialysis Wednesday so we decided to do some exploring. I found an interesting place to visit called the Lava River Cave. We were surprised to learn that a volcanic eruption left a lava tube outside Flagstaff.




The drive took much longer than expected. The last 20 minutes or so were on a rough gravel road. When we arrived, there was no one there. There was a covered shelter with information but no park rangers. Seemed strange but there were signs directing us to the Lava River Cave entrance.

After a short walk we came to the entrance. Again, no one there, Just a big hole in the ground with informative signs. If you read the signs you'll learn that in order to hike the cave we needed to be well prepared, which we were not! I took a picture of the signs which were very interesting.



We were able to go into the entrance to the cave. It was very rugged. I climbed over rocks and boulders to get close to where the trail entered the actual cave. Given I didn't have three flashlights, nor warm enough clothes, nor waterproof hiking boots, I quickly decided to go no further.





















This is the nondescript entrance. Pat
 and Dick were trying to determine if this was it. It was.
















The entrance


















This was as far as I could go safely



Very cute squirrel


This place seemed almost surreal. Why wasn't anyone around. This Lava Cave looks really cool. I'd love to return with the appropriate gear. The Lava River Cave


After our trip to the Lava Cave, we stopped in Flagstaff at a brewery for lunch. It was a fun place. The picture gives you an impression of the artwork and decor. The food was very good as well as the local beers.














No comments:

Post a Comment