Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday August 26: Bobcaygeon


The trip from Fenelon Falls to Bobcaygeon is a relatively short one – only about 15 miles on a perfectly calm Sturgeon Lake. I could just imagine in my mind: reaching the end of the channel and cruising along (now that we could!). Yep – not so much. Give me our diesel engine – PLEASE! It has been about 7 years since we have owned a gasoline fueled boat and we'd forgotten how an issue can be so difficult to track down. Diesel: if it has fuel and no air, it will run. Period.

Not so this gasoline engine. Could be fuel, could be carburetor, could be ignition, could be timing – could be who knows what. All we did was to put in a new set of points – should have run even better, right? Obviously we should have quit while we were ahead. Does make us wonder if it would have been fine with the old points. We'll find out as we have put them back in.

Regardless, we have one or two more things to try and then off to the marina we go. For now, we've enjoyed being in Bobcaygeon and since it hasn't changed much since we were here 3 weeks ago, I dug through old pictures of Bobcaygeon from the late 70's. Hasn't changed much from then either!

But how the people have changed! This is Steve and my Dad and Mom at a picnic table in Bobcaygeon. If I were to guess, there is a chelsea roll on the table for breakfast!


Our boats are in the background: my parent's Starcraft Chieftain and our Rienell.





Playing with a bucket on a string was great fun for the kids. Especially when Becky would be trying to pour it on my Mom! She was pretty game though and as long as Becky was pouring it only on her legs, it was ok :-)









This tree of course is long gone but with the amount of time the kids spent in it, it was their second home. The perfect spot for us to dock was right in the corner by the tree. You would have thought we didn't have trees at home in Ohio (admittedly we didn't have any this big though.).







This picture of Becky jumping off the top of the houseboat kind of epitomizes how summers were up here on the Trent whether on one of our boats or on one of the rental houseboats. Not sure where this picture was taken but it just really tells the story :-)












A sad note. We (maybe I should say I – in fact I'm sure Steve would say I should say I since he actually verbalized my being consciously stupid) may have slipped back into doing something consciously stupid. When we first arrived, I put a spring line that, as you can see, ran right across where we get on and off the boat. Mmmm... is this really a good idea? Seems like it would be pretty easy to trip on that line. No problem, I thought, just step around it.

While good in theory, in practice not quite so much. The only good thing I can say is I tripped on it getting out of the boat rather than getting into the boat. So I landed on the flat wood/ground rather than falling into the boat's uneven surfaces. Nothing broken and hardly any bruises even! Just moving a bit slower for a day or two. No more doing consciously stupid things – at least until this episode is forgotten :-)

It's Sunday and we'll either be headed to Buckhorn or Love Sick – if the boat is running. If it isn't we may have to say 'uncle' and go to Birch Point Marina to have the engine checked out. Time will tell ….





No comments:

Post a Comment