Monday, November 22, 2021

Nov 22nd: Succulent Update and mushroom story



June 2020

As reported several months ago, I have been sort of watching the succulents I rescued from Becky last October. I stopped at the Rahn's house on the way home and discovered Karen is a succulent expert. Karen, explained that they were getting too much water, helped me repot them in a single clay pot, and sent them home with me. I was skeptical but whatever. They looked over the edge. 






June 2020
In addition, Karen said I needed to refill the 6 pots the succulents had been in and provided such plants. I don't remember signing on for that. I like plants but.....



I had high expectations. As I drove home I envisioned a small forest of succulents growing in my living room in the near future. When I returned home, I put the succulents on my balcony, out of direct sunlight as Karen said, and minimized watering. I admit the small pots and succulents were kind of cute and was glad Karen gave them to me. I ended up moving them inside to a window sill.


September 2021
I went to Ohio and Florida from March thru April of 2021 and left the succulents in Wendy's care. When I returned they looked almost as they did when I left but were looking pretty healthy.

As reported in earlier posts, succulents grow very, very, very, if at all, slowly.

By September 2021, 14 months of growing, there was visual progress! Most of the succulents came back nicely and were looking healthy.





September 2021

The succulents in the small pots were doing okay but were hardly growing. Karen explained that being in small pots which are perfect for a window sill, would limit their growth.




I moved the clay pot inside also once it started to look like there were real plants in it.



A few days ago, I went to open the curtains in the morning and saw a yellow mushroom growing in the clay pot. It wasn't fully opened yet. I wondered when it had started growing and why now after all those months. 

I went out and came back about 3 hours later and the mushroom had grown a little more and had opened up like an umbrella. (No before picture.) When searching for mushrooms I always wondered how long it took for them to grow. By the next morning the mushroom cap shriveled and collapsed. 




8:00 am
I looked more closely and saw several more tiny mushrooms just getting started.

I decided to take a few time lapse pictures. It was fun to watch them grow. There was one dominant mushroom that took over. Here are the pictures with the timed growth.

















8 PM, 12 hours later
I marked a toothpick and stuck it next to the mushroom to measure its growth.




8:00 am (24 hours later)

The mushroom grew quite a bit overnight.









1:00 PM, 29 hours from 1st picture
Notice the several small mushrooms starting at the base. I wonder how long this will continue!

Also, I trust you noticed how well the succulents are doing. I especially like the spikey one that has grown an off shoot to the right.






Here is the current status of the small pot succulents. 

Small pot succulents November 22, 2021

I haven't forgotten about the remainder of the Palm Desert trip. I was sidetracked by the mushrooms and the rest of the trip involves a lot of picture manipulation. Coming maybe soon! It might be after Thanksgiving. Wendy, Matt and I are going to Rebecca's home in Studio City for Thanksgiving. Have a great Thanksgiving!







No comments:

Post a Comment