Monday, August 23, 2021

August 23rd: Completed August 17th post

  NOTE: I HAD TROUBLE GETTING THE AUG 17TH  BLOG TO LOAD COMPLETELY. HERE IS THE COMPLETE POST

I flew to Cleveland August 3rd and arrived late enough that I just stayed near the airport. Wednesday morning Scott and Terri picked me up and drove me to my rental car location. I rented off site from the airport because the cost was less than double the cost at the airport. Fortunately, I made the reservation a couple months ago, just in case I couldn't get in to Canada. The rental agent remarked that my cost was a real bargain as current rental rates were more than double my rate! 


Everything went smoothly and we arrived at Julie's late morning. My cousin Marialice also joined us for a great outdoor lunch at Scotty's. Then we went to the Slovenian Rehab Center to celebrate Julie and Jim's 80th birthdays. We gathered outside and had a great visit, including strawberry cake and ice cream.

After visiting Jim we went for a walk along the lake. The new entrance to a walking path at the end of the street is wonderful. We had considered going to the Western Reserve Historical Society Museum in Cleveland but it was closed on Wednesday.


My plan was to stay with Julie Thursday night and then go to the farm Friday night. Saturday I would join Terri and Scott and drive to Dayton for the anniversary party. As it turned out, I received a text Wednesday afternoon from Andy that the party was postponed due to COVID. 

My sister Julie and brother-
in-law Scott in back

New plan. Terri, Scott, Julie and I went to the Western Reserve Historical Society Thursday. It has been significantly expanded since the last time I was there. A major addition was the Euclid Beach Park Carousel. We had fun reliving our youth by riding the carousel and reading about the history of Euclid Beach Amusement Park.




My sister Terri


First amphibian mail carrier

There were many old vehicles and planes downstairs. All were in excellent condition. Here are just a few.

Very old motor home with a push out





And there was also this unique "space age" motorcycle that was built as a prototype just for fun. Read the description Top speed theoretically 300 mph!





There are numerous fun exhibits and a very detailed history of Cleveland. The wooden model of the terminal tower is quite impressive. 



It's also amazing to see the small sailboat Manry sailed across the ocean. Truly amazing he made it. Robert Manry's Trip



 


Robert Manry's 13.5 foot sailboat




More info about the Western Reserve Historical Society. History


Raspberry bushes in the center

I had asked Julie if she had any projects I could help with while I was in Cleveland. She said she'd like to get the "Jungle" in her back yard under control.



Raspberry bushes and small trees removed
The raspberry bushes were quite overgrown and not producing much. They were in the center and clearly the toughest job. There were also numerous small oak trees and numerous morning glory vines that had started growing. We started with the raspberry bushes and the oak trees. We cleared them out Friday morning and decided that was enough for the day.


Julie was leaving to visit Jim and told me the lawn mowers would be coming that afternoon. Hmmm! Lawn mowers have good equipment. I talked to them and had them whack down the rest of the weeds and undesired plants. Much easier than Julie and me doing it! She has daffodils and peonies that will come up in the spring and plans to plant wild flowers. It looks a lot better.



Project completed








After I returned home, Julie sent me a picture she took one morning. It appears the deer also like the jungle being trimmed!




I neglected to take a picture of the poppy seed pastries Julie provided from the Slovenian Bakery, twice! They are very good and dangerously addictive! 



Julie, Jim and I go down the street to watch the sunset whenever I am there. There were beautiful sunsets and even the deer came to enjoy the view! (Deer not in the picture)



Given I wasn't going to Dayton, I went to the farm in Loudonville Friday afternoon so I could hike the Mohican forest. The park is very beautiful and the geology is unique. The glaciers carved it out. I took a couple pictures of displays explaining the geology but I missed part of one sign. You can still get most of the ideas.






 






I enjoyed a fairly strenuous, up and down, 3.5 mile hike.




Lyons Falls (Just a trickle in the summer)


My hike began at the top of the dam and went down along the river below. Of course that meant I needed to get back to the top of the dam where my car was. About 200 steps to the top!

200 plus steps to the top of the dam











I also made arrangements to meet friends in Loudonville on Sunday. It worked out very well. We played cards and as usual Sue tried to pick on me, but I won anyway! Bob and Sue are good people and fun friends who grew up with Linda. We always get together when we are in Loudonville or there will be  hell to pay! Sue thoughtfully invited Elaine and Bob, also high school friends I've gotten to know, to join us. They also are a lot of fun  It was so nice to be able to get back together again in person!


One of Tom's peach trees

Tom's peach trees are having the best year ever. One tree was so full that Linda's brother Warren used boards to prop up the branches. The peaches are delicious. 




Monday, Linda's brother Pat, his wife Becky and her mom Donna, Dick, Linda's youngest brother, my cousin Marialice, Bob and Sue gathered at the farm for dinner. I made barbecued spare ribs and everyone brought more food than we could possibly eat. Warren stopped over later even though he had just driven back from Chicago to visit his son Matt and his family. I went back to Cleveland Monday night to spend a a little more time with Julie before flying to St. Louis Wednesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment