Saturday, July 31, 2021

August 1st: San Juan Capistrano Mission Sketch Class and Safe Drinking Water project

 

San Juan Capistrano Karen told me about a sketch class at the Mission San Juan Capistrano, beginners welcome. Karen couldn't attend but I decided to attend alone despite it being Friday afternoon. I knew the return traffic would be brutal but then what else was I doing. I had never been to the Mission San Juan Capistrano so I decided to go early and do the audio tour of the Mission. The tour was well done and very interesting. The Mission was founded in 1776. 

The Great Stone Church Ruins

Upon entering the Mission walls I saw the ruins of a very large church. The full history of the church can be read here. Be sure to read down to The Great Stone Church. The short version is that after many years of hard work and many setbacks the Church was completed and blessed in 1806. Sadly an earthquake toppled the church killing 40 parishioners and two boys who were bell ringers. There is a lengthy and interesting history of the mission at this link. The Great Stone Church

The original church was never rebuilt. The two large bells in front of the ruins were housed in the 120 foot bell tower which collapsed on the church during the earthquake. The mission, however had a very productive history. 


The Mission is well known for the history of the Swallows of Capistrano. 









The Mission became recognized world wide partially through the song composed by Rene Leon, "When the Swallows Come Back to San Juan Capistrano."




The sketch lesson was drawing a two point perspective scene. We did two different scenes. Unfortunately, I left one of my drawings with the sketch pad we were given to use. It was better than my second attempt but here it is anyway. I was reminded that the artists favorite tool is the eraser. Always draw lightly so you can erase and re-draw.



The instructor was very personable and helpful. I learned a great deal in two hours. 

The normally 45 minute drive back home took 2 hours and 15 minutes but it was worth it. I was happy I went.

Speaking of sketching I think I'm hooked on penguins. Here is my latest. I'm thinking an ice floe with lots of penguins should be next!


On my previous trip to Rebecca's we never got to installing the water filtration system under the sink. After having the water tested we learned there are many contaminants in tap water. Valerie, the nutritionist we've been working with for years has been telling us adamantly to avoid drinking tap water unless filtered by a very high grade water filter designed to take out the specific toxic elements in the water. Distilled water is the safest absent an appropriate filter. After having the water tested at my place and hers we found Valerie to be correct! The filter system is not even that costly.

Osmotic water filter
for drinking water

After looking at the under the sink filter system installation I decided to leave it to a plumber. I'm certain Rebecca and I could have done it, but it wouldn't be fun. Rebecca learned the plumber wouldn't drill the hole in her counter top for the drinking water faucet for fear the counter top would crack. He referred her to a stone person who wanted an outrageous amount of money. She googled it and decided she could do it. The only tricky part is to make certain the drilling doesn't allow the counter top to get too hot. That's what cracks it. She bought the appropriate diamond drill bit and went to work. 



Drinking water faucet on the left


Slow and easy did the trick. She did a great job. The osmotic water filtration system, which removes virtually everything harmful, such as uranium, and then puts the helpful minerals back, was then installed by the plumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment