Thursday, November 28, 2019

November 28th: First physical therapy session at Key West and Thanksgiving


The winds calmed down so Flint and I went fishing under the bridge in the dinghy. Things were going quite well. We hooked fish several times and landed 2 very nice Yellowtail Snapper, one of the best species for eating. We like to anchor close to the bridge piling because the fish hang out there. I had a nice fish on the line and was trying to get it close to the boat so Flint could net it. The fish was about five feet away and between us and the concrete bridge piling when all of a sudden a huge bull shark came up and grabbed my fish! It was quite a bit longer and larger than our dinghy! We've had sharks get our fish before but never anything that large. Definitely intimidating. We pulled up the anchor and headed back. Needless to say we didn't get a picture. Too bad, it was impressive! Flint said, "Steve you need a bigger boat".

After going to the Clinic for the two week follow-up, we were anxious for Linda to see her physical therapist, Rosie in Key West. She did a great job for Linda's knuckle replacement rehab and is also a lot of fun. In addition, we know she also trains other therapists so clearly we were going back to her.


Our hope was that Linda could start doing more with her shoulder. After checking Linda's shoulder  thoroughly, she said it looked great! Rosie had Linda practice several exercises and sent us on our way with a plan and some serious directives. No lifting anything! No pushing down or using the arm to get up! No reaching behind your back! No twisting of the arm! No sleeping on the shoulder! Splint in public to avoid being bumped! Walk slowly and carefully, no falling!

The exercises are actually very light because it will take several months for all the muscles and tissues to solidify. For example, one of the exercises is rolling a beach ball back and forth. Still, it's nice to see Linda moving her arm again. The next appointment with her surgeon is December 21st and Rosie said at that time her doctor will most likely increase the exercises.



Linda is enjoying being able to take a shower again. After taking out the old leaking shower head in the front head (bathroom), I had found a shower faucet we'd bought but never installed. The shower faucet we were using in our head in the stern was quite nasty, but I kept ignoring it, thinking about the 43 year old copper plumbing. Beside looking bad, the old faucet was leaking at the tub spout so less water made it to the shower head.

I decided it was time to replace it. To get at the faucet I needed to lean into a small cupboard opening. It actually wasn't as bad as I feared. Both water lines came off relatively easily.







The cold water line was plastic water hose. I needed to replace some hose, but I always have a supply on hand. Put the cold back together with minimal effort. The hot became a challenge. The copper compression fittings are very old and unusual. Fortunately, I was able to connect a hose barb fitting to the compression fitting. Then I could easily attach the plastic water hose to the faucet.

Went outside to turn the water back on. As I came back in I heard water spraying. Not good! I looked and discovered some of the hose clamps weren't tight enough. No problem. Easy to fix. But there was a leak at the compression fitting. Not good. I went to Home Depot and bought a brand new brass fitting and tried again. It worked! After four hours and two trips to Home Depot, the two hour job was completed. The new shower is great! Well worth the effort.


As I returned from the store one day I saw a small flock of Ibises in the parking lot. They are not very skittish so they just walked out of the way. I went to the boat to get the camera and there they were, right back in the same spot. Seems like they liked the shade of the palm tree. They were just standing there. I wanted to move them out of the shade to get a better picture, so I walked toward them and they cooperated. It was funny however, to see them walking back to the same spot as I walked away. I love their curved pink beaks.





You might remember from an earlier blog that we discovered the rod to hold the car hood up was missing. Although Linda's physical capacity is a little limited, her internet skills are great as usual. She got on line and found a hood rod. Had it delivered to our dock and I installed it. Much safer than the shaky branch I was using.



We were looking forward to Thanksgiving. Deciding to splurge just a little on our health-mindful diets, we settled on a Cornish hen, green bean casserole and mashed potatoes. Bailey's on ice for an appetizer/dessert. We decided we could forgo the traditional pumpkin pie until we get to California in January to have our family Christmas. Wendy makes a great pumpkin pie!

Thanksgiving Day at the dock



It was a beautiful Thanksgiving day as you can see in the picture. The temperature and humidity were very comfortable.












Roasting in our microwave/convection oven can be a little unpredictable, so I watched our Cornish Hen closely. Linda snapped a picture of my scrutiny. I planned dinner at 6:30 PM and it was done at 6:35. Pretty close for a change. (Usually it takes longer than I think so Linda was duly impressed.)




Thanksgiving Cornish Hen
Everything worked out great and we enjoyed a wonderful dinner.














Our daughter Rebecca arranged a three way call between her, Matt and Wendy and us. Great idea Rebecca. Gave us a good opportunity to catch up on what's been going on. Rebecca sent a Thanksgiving Day walk picture of London and Trevi. Still cute


London and Trevi

No comments:

Post a Comment