Saturday, September 28, 2019

September 28th: Studio City


We left early Sunday morning to try to beat the Los Angeles traffic on the way to Rebecca's home in Studio City. We were for the most part successful, only a few slow downs, even though we stopped to pick up some live lobsters for dinner.

We turned down her street in a nice quiet neighborhood and spotted her house. Very nice! London and Trevi greeted us with great enthusiasm as usual.


After a tour of the house, we wasted no time getting started on the projects. Her garage had been modified to add a room on the back and a large shelf, that was added by the original owner, was too low for her to pull her car in. Once I looked at it I recognized it was much more substantial than I anticipated. A large support beam, regular 2 by 4 studding, covered with drywall and 3/4 inch plywood on the bottom of the shelf.




I looked at the job and told Rebecca it was really a one person job so she and Linda could work on hanging the big screen TV on the wall.


 The TV project was successful.








While Linda and Rebecca were hanging the TV I continued with the needed destruction of the garage shelf. Not surprisingly, it was more difficult than I thought. I removed the dry wall and discovered a framework capable of holding an elephant! The shelf was very over built and therefore more difficult to tear out. After a lot of pounding and use of most of Matt's power tools I brought along, I finally arrived at the point I wanted to remove the 12 foot long, 4 x 12 foot support beam.

Hmmm? Can I just tear it out without weakening the roof? I thought yes, but decided it was a long day and not the right time to make that decision.




So just cleaned things up and decided to attack the project on the next trip up.


We were able to relax and enjoy the rest of the evening watching the newly hung TV.




The next morning we headed back to our Oceanside Beach House. Trevi, London and Rebecca waved goodbye!






When we returned to our Beach house I thought about one more fishing trip. I like to fish for rock fish, but most of the boats were fishing for tuna or yellowtail. In addition the 1/2 day trip is usually so crowded that lines are constantly getting tangled. Typically there are 30 - 50 anglers on the boat, way too many. When I checked the schedule there was a trip going and only fourteen reservations. Perfect! The tuna trips are fun but a great deal of the time you are just cruising around looking for fish. When fishing for rock fish you drift in 200 feet of water and wait for a fish to bite.


Passing Point Loma leaving the San Diego harbor
I went on the trip, had beautiful weather and caught fish. I even caught the "Jackpot Fish". Those who want to play throw $2 in a pot and the angler who catches the biggest fish wins the pot. $32! The deck hands were as usual very helpful so I left most of it to them as a tip.















No comments:

Post a Comment