Saturday, June 29, 2019

June 28: Peterborough for the Holiday Weekend

We left Lovesick and proceeded to Lakefield. On the way we traveled through Stony Lake which is very pretty.

We stayed at the Lakefield Marina which is a very nice place located on the river headed to Peterborough. We had a favorite breakfast place just a short walk from the dock. When I rode past it on my bike on the way to the grocery store, I discovered it was gone! Very disappointing.

Linda got on the internet and discovered there was a new place just as close. So of course we tried it. Turned out it was quite good. I got an avocado, cucumber, roasted red pepper mayonnaise fried egg sandwich on rye bread. Sounded like a California sandwich! It was excellent.





While at Lakefield, Linda decided it was time to get back on her bike after her knuckle surgeries. It went very well!







I went for a bike ride through a nice park that I always enjoy. There is a great protected wetland area that is pretty and has a lot of wildlife. Linda and I enjoy looking for turtles when we kayak. Surprisingly, as I was riding along the trail, I came across a turtle. Pretty unusual. Perhaps she was going out to lay her eggs. She would not come out to give me a better picture and I got tired of waiting so this is the best picture I could get. Fun to see.






This trail also gives me a good view of Guppy across the river at the Lakefield Marina. Nice to see Guppy safely tucked in for the night as thunderstorms were predicted. Guppy is in the corner, right in front of the marina building.



After a great stay in Lakefield, we headed down the river to the Lakefield lock. It's a fun ride because we go past the dam, under a bridge and through a narrow channel to get to the lock. We arrived for the first lock of the day to beat the predicted heat for the day.




There are five regular locks, the lift lock and one last lock on the way to Peterborough. It can get pretty hot waiting for the locks to go down. Linda captain's the boat and I keep her supplied with water and food. On the trawler we have the great Challenged Athlete Foundation insulated water bottle, which we got from Matt, that I use to provide Linda ice water. I decided to improvise until I can find something better, but it kept Linda going for the 3 hour trip. By the way, 3 hours was a record short time for the trip. Every lock was open and waiting for us on the way. It made the trip easy and fun.

We passed the Trent University on the way to the Lift Lock. It has grown considerably over the last forty years we have traveled the Trent. They have built some very nice buildings the last few years.




We arrived at the Peterborough Lift Lock and as usual enjoyed the view and the incredible ride to the bottom. Learn more about the Lift Lock




We planned to stay at the Peterborough Lock Thursday night. It is a short bike ride to Peterborough and a very enjoyable place to stay. No power, but no problem. I always move the generator as far away as possible to minimize the noise. I fired up the generator to cook and next thing we know, a fellow boater came over and asked, "Is that your generator?" We looked and there was smoke pouring out of it! Not good. After some inspection we decided the rings were shot. Checking on the internet, I had a hard time finding a replacement.  Peterborough is the largest city we would be in for a while so we really wanted to find a replacement.  Fortunately, Linda got on the internet and found an Energizer Generator, the Energizer Bunny brand, a short bike ride away, at a Tractor Supply. The generator is fairly heavy so I put it on the back of the bike and walked it back to the boat. Fired it up and it works great.










No comments:

Post a Comment