Tuesday, March 28, 2017

March 28th: The Green Flash is Back!


Bikers are starting to gather at the point
On St. Patrick's Day, someone had the idea for a "Travelling Bike Bar Tour". I suggested perhaps a walking tour?  The idea of the bike tour gained momentum and many boaters met at the point for the beginning.













Linda and I declined to participate and I said I wanted to take a picture so we would know who didn't make it back!  Fortunately, clear heads apparently prevailed, as they were out from noon to well past dark, and everyone made it home safely.

After posting my last blog, I had several inquiries as to why the "Bike Tour" didn't make the blog, so here it is. I did not list any names in the caption in case someone wanted to remain anonymous.




That night we were treated to a fantastic rising moon at the same time there was a beautiful sunset.














We could sit at the point and just turn back and forth to watch both. Now that the sun has moved across the horizon enough to see it set over the water, we were hoping to see our first "Green Flash". If the sky is not perfectly clear with low humidity it doesn't happen. No green flash that night but a beautiful sunset.












You never know what you might see in the Keys.  Randy was at the canvas shop and saw this pretty unique "Camper?" The first two story van we have seen. I guess it is in keeping with the latest "Tiny House Craze". Can't imagine driving it around!














I don't know if there is a Bird of Paradise Season, but I noticed several had very nice blooms.



















Some of the plants are quite large and have very cool blossoms.







There is still a lot of teak refinishing on the list. I mentioned to our wonderful friend Sharon that I really needed to get back to work on our teak. Sharon and her husband had a boat with a lot of teak and she had lots of cool tools to refinish it. She said she kind of missed working on the teak because their new boat had none.  Hmmmm! Surely too good to be true! I "offered" to let Sharon work on our teak. I am happy to say that I have been able to make Sharon very happy!




Sound a little like Tom Sawyer? No way! Sharon has refinished more teak than I have and knew what she was getting into. Its fun having all the other boaters asking, "How did you get her to do that?" We're scheduled for another work day Friday. She sanded this hand rail which is a real pain because everything is round. It looks great. I wonder if Sharon is thinking about the one on the starboard side?





The long awaited "Green Flash" finally arrived.  We saw it two nights in a row. I took a video that doesn't quite capture it but you might be able to get the idea. As the sun sinks below the water, the bright yellow changes to bright green. I'm told I'd need a very expensive camera to capture the color change so this will have to do.  More info available at: Green Flash Explanation



No comments:

Post a Comment