Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sunday July 19: The Scottish Festival


It was a nice day (after yesterday's overcast, rainy one) for the festival. The park on the waterfront was packed with folks out to enjoy the day. First a parade down the main street with 15 different pipe and drum bands from around the area. It was GREAT!!




Steve and I sat along the street - nicely in the shade as it was really warm in the sun. I felt bad for those in the parade as it had to be really warm marching and playing.

I had my fold up chair - which Steve kindly carried while I rode my bike :-)

There were many food venders as well which we managed to avoid. Way too much good looking food that I'm quite certain is way too bad for us to eat.



The highlight of the day (in my opinion) was the gathering of all of the pipe and drum bands on the large open area of the park. We were sadly on the wrong side but there was no problem hearing them!

Other highlights included the sheep herding demonstration. The dogs were quite talented. They are trained to whistle commands as often it's too far for shouted commands.






\
In the end, all of the sheep ended up in the fence pen. Well done!

Stage entertainment included Scottish folk singers as well and demonstrations of Scottish dancing. Reminded me of square dancing.


Throughout the park, various pipe and drum bands would play a few songs and then move on to another part of the park. Definitely fun for anyone that likes to hear bagpipes play.





The prize for the day went to the horse disguised as a dog .....



Tomorrow? Either anchor at Big Chief Island (if the weather is nice) or move on to Swift Rapids lock if the weather is not so nice.

Laundry is done, cupboards are stocked up and it's time to move on ,,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment