Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thursday March 17: Happy St Patrick's Day!!

So Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone - especially to my brother Pat who turns yet another year older (of course while living on a boat, time is meaningless so there is no aging of individuals at this end :-)). He doesn't look like this anymore but I thought this was a great picture - not sure what year this was taken but I'm sure he does! Work on the aft cabin on ongoing but we are closing in. Full report in a few days. In the meantime it hasn't been all work. Steve does take some of the projects outside to work on which is nice as the cetol he's using as a finish is quite smelly. Steve and Ty continue to check the crab pots on a regular basis but Tim is due back so that will end. I think their stash of claws is up to 4! Yesterday we finally were able to go out on the water again to try our luck at fishing and diving. It was a great fishing day and an ok diving day. Steve ended up with 5 Spanish Mackerel, a small grunt and a fish that we had no idea what it was but it was fun to catch -- it went back into the water. It was the best fishing day in a LONG time so Steve was very happy :-) The reef by which we were fishing was not a great reef for diving but it was good to go because I hadn't been diving in probably 8 - 10 years. My conclusions: I'm getting older ..... walking around with a 40 lb tank on my back is not something I'm sure I want to do anymore .... and a trawler is not the best boat from which to dive! I'm thinking I may really like snorkeling :-) Steve says we just need calmer water - I don't disagree with that. Anyway, the Ove Glove has a new use: fish glove! The second mackerel Steve caught straighted itself out after it was in the boat and bit Steve on the finger (check out the teeth on these things). Fortunately he is already on antibiotics due to a stabbing by a catfish (in his shin). Mmmmmm ..... maybe he should give up fishing! Guess who cleaned the fish - it's my job. Bonnie and Ty watched the fish cleaning happening. We hung bags of water with a penny in it to keep the flies away (it really works!) One last crab trap check yesterday produced 1 claw and 2 puffer fish! One was normal sized but the other one puffed up when the top of the trap was opened! It was like someone blew up a balloon!. Last item of the day: order in pizza - we were both tired and thought pizza sounded good - delivered right to the marina. End of a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment